- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 pinches fine sea salt
- 1 medium carrots finely grated (optional)
- 1/4 cup spring onions (white and green parts), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dill finely chopped including stalks
- 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped including stalks
- 2 tbsp mint finely chopped including stalks
- 200 gram (7 oz) feta cheese crumbled
- 2 tbsp plain thick yogurt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- sunflower oil for shallow-frying
Prepare batter: In a colander combine grated zucchini and salt and set aside for 10 minutes (while you are chopping herbs). Squeeze the zucchini with your hands to remove excess of liquid. Add the chopped spring onions, dill, parsley, mint, crumbled feta cheese, yoghurt, egg, ground black pepper and mix well. Add sifted flour and baking powder and gently combine.
Fry fritters: Preheat a cast iron pan / non-stick pan on a medium heat and grease it with the vegetable oil. Make sure the oil does not burn, or so would your fritters. Like with the drop cookies, use a measuring spoon or an ice-cream scoop to drop the fritters in the oil to fit in as many fritters as the pan allows. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Use two wooden spatulas to flip the fritters, as they are rather gentle while warm. Place the cooked fritters on a paper towel to remove the excess of oil. Serve warm.